Skip to main content

4 Reasons We Regain Weight


Posted Wed, Sep 03, 2008, 12:55 pm PDT

Losing weight and changing one’s eating and fitness lifestyle is hard work -- that’s a given -- but maintaining a weight loss is even harder. There's no longer the challenge of juggling numbers or the reward of seeing them drop, and keeping up the enthusiasm and dedication necessary to stay at the weight that you worked hard to get to doesn't come easy.

The National Weight Registry surveys and collects data from “regular people” who have managed to maintain a weight loss of 30 pounds or more for at least one year. Based on the data that they have received from more than 7,000 people, there are certain things that almost all successful “losers” seem to do to maintain their newer and slimmer figures:

* Participate in aerobic exercise for least one hour or more each day
* Focus on watching calories
* Keep food logs
* Choose healthier and lower fat foods

I never thought I would be (nor did I want to be) one of the many people who have lost a significant amount of weight only to gain a lot of it back. But, it is high time to admit that I have gained 15 pounds since the start of the year.

Yes, that’s right. I just admitted that on the world wide web, for all to see, that I have gained back 15 of the 50 pounds I worked so hard to lose.

So what happened?

Well, I stopped doing what successful losers do to maintain a weight loss. I stopped exercising as much as I was. I started to think, “a little bit of this and a little bit of that won’t hurt.” And I stopped writing in my food log, because if I don’t write it down, it doesn’t count, right?

I lost track of calories and stopped being accountable to myself. I started to neglect myself. I stopped preparing meals and snacks ahead of time. I stopped getting up early to get to the gym because I was busy and tired. My will power began to crumble, eating special treats everyday rather than on special occasions only.

I have been watching my weight creep up these past 8 months, and instead of getting back on the beam right away, it has become a bit of a vicious cycle.

You become depressed because you know better. You get angry with yourself because you can’t believe you let yourself go. You get paranoid about what people will think—especially since you write this blog about maintaining your weight. You get emotional because getting dressed puts you in a bad mood; pants you looked awesome in a few months ago, no longer fit.

The last thing you want to do when you feel so bad about yourself is get up early the next day, go to the gym and forego the ice cream as the last days of summer arrive. I have been struggling with not throwing in the towel, not caving in and eating everything in sight, only to see the scale not budge or go up!

Now that that skeleton is out of the closet, what do I do?

Well I pick up the tools that have been so freely given to me by the successful losers that have come before me; the same tools that have helped me to be successful in the past, and I apply them again (food logs, calorie watching, exercising more). And this time I try not to think that I am ever cured from my tendency to overeat and under exercise.

In admitting my weight gain I end it there. I hold myself accountable because no one can do this for me, but me.

________________________________________________________________________

For more real life weight-loss wisdom from Micaela, visit Capessa.
Copyright © 2007 Procter & Gamble Productions, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

13 Qualities Every Leader Should Have

www.menshealth.com Leadership is one tough-to-figure art. That's why the Constitution devotes only a few hundred words to describing the president's job, and fewer still—not one—to the kind of person the chief exec ought to be. But take heart. We've figured out what makes a fellow worth following. Our leader-of-the-free-world specs come without reference to public policy. Great presidents can believe in big government or in small, and they can be born on Park Avenue or among the amber waves. We're fed up with the sneers, with the divisive polemics about who's a slacker because he didn't serve and who's a hero because he did. Mostly, we're impatient with insinuations that liberals don't believe in family and conservatives don't believe in civil rights. Our studies show that millions of people in Massachusetts have values and millions more in Texas have brains. Here are some qualities of mind and heart that will serve our republic well from either

You've Been Making Chicken Breasts All Wrong - Here's the Right Way to Do It For Weight Loss

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are a staple for healthy eaters everywhere - they're lean and they're an excellent source of protein, but all too often they're also bone-dry and flavourless. This could lead anyone astray from healthy eating! Fortunately, Disneyland Resort Executive Chef Chris Faulkner has a solution for dried up, unappetising chicken. As a star chef and Ironman triathlete, he knows how to fuel a body in a way that also tastes delicious (read: gourmet sports nutrition!). As Chef Chris told us during our Lunch 'N Learn cooking class at Disneyland, "Cook the breast with the skin on, then take it off to keep the chicken juicier. You'll save calories by removing the skin, but you'll have more flavour and better texture." Don't forget to brine your chicken, too. His recipe: lemon juice, orange juice, salt, peppercorns, thyme, garlic, bay leaf, and sliced lemons, limes, and oranges. Simmer for 20 minutes, then add ice to cool

Vitamins A and E: Why are these antioxidants good for you?

Gerontologist Denham Harman, also known as the ‘father of the free radical theory of ageing’, was the first to discover the concept of free radicals in 1954. Free radicals are now suggested as one of the major contributors to ageing. Free radicals are reactive molecules and are involved in disease development. Sources of free radicals include stress, pollution as well as smoking and high alcohol consumption. The need for antioxidants in our daily life is thus crucial due to increased exposure to such free radicals. What are antioxidants? Antioxidants are thought to be able to slow down ageing and thus improve skin health through preventing reactive oxygen species from causing damage to our biological system. This is done by detoxifying these reactive oxygen species and thus be able to repair the resulting damage on proteins, fats, and DNA. Antioxidants are also capable of repairing damaged molecules like your DNA, can promote the destruction of cancer cells, and thus stop canc